1. Beautiful mountains poking through the clouds
2. The device I came here to commission is now working, and I am getting useful data
3. Keeping in touch with Kelly via internet text and voice
4. Riding a cable car
5. The Kobe Nunobiki Herb Gardens http://www.japan-ryokan.net/kobeherb/en/index1.html
6. Hot foot bath overlooking Kobe at the Herb Gardens
7. Watching Thor, which was surprisingly good, on the plane to Japan
8. Being invited to dinner to celebrate one of the students at Kobe submitting his doctoral thesis
9. Eating, drinking, and conversing with my colleagues
10. The frequent, punctual, and effective bus system in Kobe.
11. The frequent, punctual, and effective train systems in Kobe
12. Finding a good dinner, chocolate, and apple cider vinegar in a Japanese grocery store
13. Finding laundry detergent in a convenience store (Family Mart).
14. Giving a seminar on NOvA at Kobe University
15. Being the guest of honor at dinner after my seminar
17. The hotel has a coin washer and dryer so I can do laundry
18. The hotel staff quickly resolved a misunderstanding about whether breakfast was included in my room charge
19. Attending an English-speaking church on my first Sunday in Kobe (Jan. 5, 2014)
20. A comfortable and functional temporary desk at the university
21. Hands-on experience with the radon monitor I am here to study
22. My computer coding skills
23. My English is easy for my Japanese colleagues to understand
24. Lunches at the Kobe University cafeteria
25. After getting off the bus on my first trip to Kobe University, I was able to follow a group of students to the university.
26. Since the University is at the top of a steep hill, I am still getting exercise in Japan
27. After begin lost due to getting off the bus at the wrong stop on my second trip to Kobe University, I managed to find me way (via the same bus) to my destination.
28. Help from one of my colleagues with buying a prepaid bus card
29. Buying a prepaid bus card
30. Though some of my clothes were still wet after drying them last night, I was able to finish drying them this morning (Jan. 9, 2014).
31. The ATM two blocks from my hotel that accepts my US ATM card
32. My hotel is very affordable.
33. Successfully riding the bus back from the university (Jan. 9, 2014). Previous return trips were by train
34. Finding Thang Cafe on my second try
35. Free hot spring role from Thang Cafe.
36. The food at Thang was as good as the reviews suggested
37. Listening to SDPB online all the way from Japan
38. Time to rest and think for the first time since Sunday evening (Jan. 9, 2014)
39. Six convenience stores (2 x Lawson Station, 2 x Family Mart, 2 x 7-11) within walking distance of my hotel
40. Two train stations (Sannomiya and Shin-Kobe) within walking distance of my hotel
41. A grocery story (Ikari) within walking distance of my hotel
42. I remembered to pack the electrical connector that also works as a 3 to 2-prong adapter
43. The ability to walk from the subway station through two shopping malls without ever going above ground
44. The invaluable help of Google Maps in navigating here
45. Sharing Royal Mints with my colleagues
46. Photographing the experimental apparatus here
47. Comfortable bed in the hotel
48. Good water pressure in the shower
What I Have Read in 2017
Books I am ReadingReaching Students: What Research Says about Effective Instruction in Undergraduate Science and Engineeringby Linda Kober
To Read Next
My Blogging Inspirations and Influences
Tags#ichep2016 2007 CGSA Camping Trip 2008 CGSA Camping Trip Adventures in Japan 2014 astronomy Being a Christian Physicist Bicycle Black History Month Blows to my patriotism BMENS: Biological Macro-Evolution by Natural Selection Creation Care Creative Writing dreams Election 2008 Election 2010 Election 2012 Election 2016 Encouragement Enouragement Family Favorite Companion Flags Food Friends Fun Fun with Flags Gratitude Italy 2006 Kyoto 2012 Lakota Moving from CA to OH Moving from IN to IL Moving from OH to IN Music Mystery Our Congregation Practical Benefits of Particle Physics Prayer Sommers Sports Tales of the Weird Travel Wedding Weinland Park Young-Earth