This recipe is adapted from Easy and Fluffy Belgian Waffles at Something Swanky. We have found it to be a delicious recipe that is free from dairy and the labor of whipping egg whites.
2 cups whole spelt flour
1/4 cup corn starch
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
a pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 3/4 c. Original unsweetened almond milk
1/2 c. cooking oil (we use safflower)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat your waffle iron. We use a Oster Flip Belgian Waffle Maker with DuraCeramic (Model number CKSTWFBF10MR-ECO) at maximum heat.
- Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls
- Whisk dry ingredient mixture into wet ingredient mixture.
- Pour approximately 2/3 cup batter onto hot waffle iron. With this model, no greasing is necessary.
- Cook until no steam is visible coming out of the waffle iron. We have found that with our model and this recipe, the waffles are not done when the lights on the iron indicate that they are. You will probably need to experiment with a few waffles to determine your desired cook time.
- Remove waffle from iron; we used a plastic fork and plastic spatula to avoid scratching the ceramic.
- Serve with your favorite waffle toppings! Yields 6-7 waffles.