For an explanation of this post and the origin of these designs, see the Introduction. The recent vote of Washington, DC to petition to become a state has inspired me to start publishing these again.
We would a need flag of 61 stars if all of the following occurred:
- the Six Californias initiative had been successful
- Puerto Rico became a state
- The District of Columbia became a state
- The New York Partition movement were successful
- The Illinois Partition movement were successful
- The Texas Division movement were successful
- Baja Arizona became a separate state (I recognize this may be partly satire, but the proposed state animal is Wile E. Coyote, which is too fun not to include).